• Home
  • Agent Designations


Licensing Requirements

receive a real estate license in the state of Michigan you're required to take a 40-hour state-approved real estate course and pass the state exam, after that you must attend 18 hours of continuing education over the next 3-year cycle.

However, those are the minimum requirements. There are many other designations, certifications, and courses an agent can receive. Over the years, our consultants have spent hundreds of hours in the classroom to become better educated. We feel these courses not only show a commitment to the real estate profession but have allowed us to better serve our clients and customers.

Visit the official State of Michigan real estate section for all MI Licenses and Requirements

Have you ever wondered what all those letters are after a real estate agent's name?

Here's a list of various designations, so next time you see an agent's business card with the alphabet after it you'll know what it means.

  • ABR - Accredited Buyer Representative - understanding Buyer Agency and how to represent buyers in a real estate transaction.
  • Broker - 90 clock hours of approved coursework required and state exam
  • C-CREC - Consumer-Certified Real Estate Counselor - in this course we gained a better understanding of just what Consumers want from a real estate professional, to meet the needs of today's savvy consumer.
  • CRP - Certified Relocation Professional- this course gave us extensive knowledge and a complete understanding of the employee relocation process.
  • E-Pro -an e-PRO is a REALTOR who has successfully completed the e-PRO training program for real estate professionals. Endorsed by the National Association of REALTORS, the e-PRO course teaches professionals the nuts and bolts of working with real estate on-line: Web sites, e-mail, on-line tools, and most of all, what today's consumer really wants
  • GRI - which stands for Graduate REALTOR Institute, is a nationally recognized professional real estate designation. Requires 90 hours of specialized real estate courses. Why use an agent with a GRI.
  • IRA's Self Directed Investments - we were taught the fundamental working knowledge of various real estate transactions using Individual Retirement Arrangements. A great program for real estate investors.
  • REALTOR® - a real estate agent is a REALTOR when he or she is a member of the National Association of REALTORS, The Voice for Real Estate -- the world's largest professional association.
  • RECS - Real Estate CyberSpace Specialist - this certification is geared to let clients know of your proficiency in serving the public with recognized skills for utilizing CyberSpace marketing programs and for effectively adopting special technology and networking systems.
  • Resort and Second Niche Markets - in this class we gained a better understanding of not only a resort buyer but also helped us understand the needs of second home purchasers.
  • SRES - Senior Housing Specialist - this designation is geared toward REALTORS that help seniors make wise decisions concerning selling the family home, buying a rental property, or managing the capital gains and tax implications of owning real estate.

There are many other designations, certifications, and courses available.

Receive daily alerts via Property Tracker. 

Search by area, bedroom, bath, size, schools, style, and more.

Check out our Buyer and Seller sections for help or contact us.