Oh, the dreaded “junk” drawer! Well…maybe “junk” is not the best word to use! Not EVERYTHING in the drawer is junk, some could simply not in its correct home. So, for now let’s call it “that” drawer. You know…. “that” drawer that when the doorbell rings you clear off your counter directly into it, or…you don’t have a home for something and you figure you will dump it in “that” drawer to eventually organize it but it keeps getting worse and worse.
As a former professional organizer, I have seen many homes with “that” drawer. It is nothing to be embarrassed about, BUT if it bothers you…then keep reading! I have 5 easy steps that will turn “that” drawer into a fully functional drawer AND a quick system to keep it that way!
Step 1: Completely empty the drawer
- I liked to have clients empty the entire contents on their island in their kitchen or their kitchen table. It doesn’t matter what you use, as long as you have plenty of room to spread out because trust me, you will need it!
Step 2: Sort the items
- This is the easiest part of the task. You just sort the items. You put like items together (i.e. all the pens in one pile, paperclips in another, etc.)
Step 3: Go through each pile
- Determine what in that pile you are going to keep or release by using the steps in our keep or release blog. Remember, you throw the garbage directly in the trash and you put away the “goes elsewhere” stuff right away!
Step 4: Prepare the drawer to put everything back in it.
- Wipe down the inside of the drawer. Then decide what you are going to put back in the drawer and how. This would be a good opportunity to use a drawer divider to keep everything separated. Only YOU know what is right to put in the drawer, but as you can see from the picture below, I have items in there that are needed for grab and go. (I included pens, pencils, crayons, pencil sharpener, glue, sticky notes, stamps, lip balm, nail file, scissors, small sewing kit, etc.)
Step 5: Put everything back in AND keep it that way!
- I have a little basket that I keep in one of my cabinets that gets “stuff” put in in when it is left on the counter at the end of the day. Once a week I grab the basket and put everything back around the house where it belongs. It is in my calendar as an “appointment” so that I don’t forget to do it!
Take 10 minutes today or tomorrow to tackle one drawer at a time! Take SMALL STEPS and before you know it, your whole house will be organized! Is there an area you would like me to help organize? Post in our comments here or on social media. You can even post a pic and I can offer suggestions!